If you’ve recently been doing what our grandparents like to call “hemming and hawing” about whether or not to buy a car, I’ve got a hand-crafted car buying quiz to help you find your way. If you’ve already made your Pros and Cons list, talked it over with your sisters, done your reading and still can’t decide, then this car buying quiz is perfect for you. Remember – answer honestly and you’ll be on your way.
Your financial situation is such that, when you buy a car, you will:
- Add it to my collection. (0)
- Live in it. (2)
- Can do some basic maintenance, but really can’t be replacing an entire transmission or something. (1)
The last time you had a pet was:
- A pet? Do you mean a plant? (2)
- When I was a kid. My sisters took great care of that dog. (1)
- I have two, they’re such little snugs, especially on cold nights. (0)
When a new style or trend crops up, you tend to:
- Be on it like white on rice. (1)
- Oh, I don’t really follow trends, I tend to stick with what looks good on me. (0)
- I’ve had this sweatshirt since 6th grade. (2)
Your relationships tend to be:
- Short and mostly sweet (1)
- For life (0)
- I just signed up for OK Cupid, does that count? (2)
When you see something that you like and want to buy, you generally:
- Call 14 people to consult and discuss, then wind up too overwhelmed to actually make the decision right then. (2)
- I buy it. I’m very comfortable and familiar with my own likes and dislikes, I know I’ll use it. (0)
- Buy it and then return it a week later. (1)
When preparing for an evening out, you generally give yourself:
- An hour or so, plus ample driving time. I hate being late and keeping people waiting. (0)
- I’ll get there when I get there. (1)
- Um, do you think you could pick me up? And that green dress of yours, do you mind if I wear it again? (2)
Your last job was:
- In a band. (2)
- Just a stepping stone for a year until I figured out what I wanted to do. (1)
- Oh, I still have it. I got a promotion and I just liked the people and the collaborative team environment so much that I stayed. (0)
The song that best describes your driving style is:
People ask you to babysit their kids when:
- They have no one else to call and the babysitters are all at prom. (2)
- I do it for my sisters when they are about to lose their minds. (1)
- Oh, my bestie has the sweetest little girl, and I spend a day with her about once a week. (0)
Who does your taxes?
- My dad. (1)
- … (2)
- I have this great guy downtown, Ron. He was recommended to me by my financial advisor, and I haven’t regretted it! (0)
Go on and BUY it! (0-7) – You straight up aced this car buying quiz! You are a responsible, fully-contributing member of society, so you are well within your rights to buy a new car. For your next super responsible step, read up on resources for new car financingand continue your never ending stream of logical decisions and adult behavior.
Let’s try a LEASE for awhile… (8 – 12) – Um, so here’s the thing. Buying a new car is a BIG commitment, and I know how that C-word really isn’t your fav thing. But it’s cool, because leasing cars were made for people like you. You can trade it in for the next big thing every few years or so, and someone else can be responsible for doing all of the maintenance type things on it. And hey, if you decide that you want one that matches this month’s hair color, well, that’s doable, too.
Oh girl. You need to WAIT. (13 – 20) – No offense, but this is not the time. This is the time to get your sweet self situated, or go and do that 6-month yoga residency in Nepal before you let a new car sit in your driveway for the winter. And then you can make the leap with a used car, which will require less money up front, and a lower monthly payment. See? Baby steps.